Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Bad NetGalley Covers


For the past couple weeks, I have noticed a lot of really, REALLY terrible covers of books on NetGalley. Most are small press or self-published books, so it kind of makes sense since they probably don't have professional designers on their team, but seriously, some of these are just so, so bad. So here's a roundup of some of the worst offenders.


I mean, OMG, this is just an embarrassment. The colors make my eyes hurt, the font is dreadful and unnecessarily outlined in white, and it's literally just a close-up of batter being poured into a baking pan. Of all the terrible covers I have seen, this is probably the worst. Like, they weren't even trying.


I'm not seeing a lot of wrath or ruin. Unless the animals are looking at the girl with wrathful expressions? Me = skeptical. Also, I'm guessing weird love triangle with the bear and whatever other animal he's sitting on? Beastiality YA, go, go!


The funny thing about this one is that they had a less terrible cover a few days ago, but that cover had me assuming this is supposed to be a fantasy novel. This one is clearly a contemp, probably about the daughter of a guy who shoots deer for fun. Probably moose, too, which is very sad, because I like moose. And that guy she's holding hands with is probably a rival hunter who accidentally shot a family member or something, and has a deep dark past. This may not be the worst cover on the list, but it certainly leaves me with a lot of questions about the plot.


OMG, a white girl with purple eyes and flowery blue tendrils! It's a paranormal novel about a girl who's Super Special with Magical Powers that will probably come to her when she turns 16. This looks like a book with all the terrible YA tropes from the 2000s combined. I mean...I guess the freckles are new??


So all the neon butterflies plummet to their deaths to escape being so neon and to escape being put on this dreadful cover. I am also perplexed by this tagline. And the title. And basically everything about this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment