Friday, December 8, 2017

2017 Books I'm Embarrassed I Haven't Read Yet


This post is going to feature--you guessed it--books published this year that I'm very, very embarrassed I haven't read yet. 


My embarrassment for not having read John Green's latest book is admittedly only mid-level embarrassment. To be fair, I have had a hate-hate relationship with John Green's books for a few years running, and it was only when I read Paper Towns over the summer and accidentally ended up liking it that I decided maybe he wasn't such a terrible human. Then, when I found out this book was about anxiety and OCD, obviously I had to have it, and then I super couldn't hate him as a human because we actually have that in common. I still think he's way overrated, but I am rather excited to read this book. I bought it pretty near to its release date, but somehow I haven't been in the mood to read it quite yet. I do have to read it soon though, since I need to let my boyfriend borrow it when I'm done, so let's hope the mood strikes me soon!


I also haven't had that great of a Maggie Stiefvater experience as of yet. I read Shiver twice trying to like it, but it just didn't happen and I still really, really hate that book. I decided after Shiver that I wasn't going to ever read another Stiefvater, but I've let the Raven Cycle hype get to me, and a few months ago I started The Raven Boys and, even though I dropped it for reasons unknown, I did really like what I read. I was also excited about this one because it's a standalone, so it's not as major of a commitment. I mainly haven't read this because I don't have a copy of it in my possession. I've debated buying it numerous times but haven't, and new books take forever to come in at my library because of our stupid state budget cuts, and I'm a mood reader, so even if I get the copy of it, it might come at a time when I'm just not in the mood for it.


This is the book I'm most ashamed not to have read. I adored ACOTAR and ACOMAF, and was wicked excited for book 3, and it's been sitting on my shelf since May. I mostly haven't read this one yet because I'm very, very intimidated by the length. It's actually not a super fat book because they used thin pages, but I know it's approaching 800 pages, and that makes me nervous because who has time for that? Hopefully me, and hopefully soon, because I need more Feyre being a badass and Rhysand!!!


I am pleased to say that I have actually started this book. I started reading it a couple weeks ago and really like it, but I realized I wasn't really in the mood for a book about a girl who washes dead bodies for a living and really wanted to read some fluffy stuff both for fun and as research for my novel writing. However, this book is definitely getting read before the end of the year because it is so good, since Tahereh Mafi can apparently do no wrong (and is a way better writer than her husband, Ransom Riggs, but that's a topic for another post). 


I am very, very embarrassed not to have read these very popular books yet. Thankfully, there's still time in 2017 to get them read and done with. So good luck to me!

2 comments:

  1. Aww I'm so sad to hear you hate John Green?? Is there a reason? I know he's really hyped but I don't think that makes an author a bad person. :( But anyway YAY that you loved The Raven Cycle and I hope you love All The Crooked Saints too.😍😍I also haven't read Whichwood...ooops. 😂😂 We need more hours for reading right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit my dislike of him due to his hyped-ness was misplaced, especially since I actually ended up liking paper towns! I think I just dislike his reputation and feel like it's not necessarily super well-deserved because there are so many more YA authors that are better than him who don't get as much hype because they're not social media gurus. Learning about his anxiety and knowing Turtles is about that really changed my perspective on him, though, so I'm glad I gave him another chance :)

      There totally needs to be so many more hours for reading! Like maybe a button we can press at different points of the day to pause time for reading and then when we finish the book we can unpause?? I would definitely use it right now to binge read the Raven Cycle since I'm so ashamed I haven't read it yet, haha.

      Delete