Thursday, August 31, 2017

Monthly Rewind: August 2017


This is it! The last day of August, and the first monthly recap for this blog! To start things off, here's what I read this month:

1. Paper Towns by John Green
2. Stef Soto, Taco Queen - Jennifer Torres
3. The Beast is an Animal - Peternelle von Arnsdale
4. Girls Made of Snow and Glass - Melissa Bashardoust
5. The Universe of Us - Lang Leav
6. Wicked Like a Wildfire - Lana Popovic
7. Salt - Nayyirah Waheed



Of these, my favorite was definitely Nayyirah Waheed's poetry collection. I've been starting to write more poetry lately and I just found her work so inspiring. I love writing and reading short poetry, and she writes exactly the kind of poetry that's always floating around in my head. The biggest bookish surprise for me was Paper Towns because I hate John Green but actually enjoyed this one. I didn't like the ending and thought it was too predictable, but other than that I found it entertaining. My least favorite novel was Wicked Like a Wildfire, which started out okay because I thought the writing was pretty, but I eventually found the story too confusing and the writing overly flowery.

I also started Robin Talley's As I Descended, which I'm planning to finish today on the plane to visit my boyfriend. It's so dark and creepy and gay and wondrous so far and I hope it stays that way for the last 30% I have of it. 




What else happened this month?

Well, I continued applying to a lot of jobs. So. Many. Job applications. So far only one has looked promising, and I'm going to hear back from them hopefully tomorrow, so I'm crossing all things that can possibly be crossed. I also joined ALA and my library school's student organization and became its web administrator, so that's exciting. Yesterday, I had the first day of my library internship, and everyone was super nice and welcoming and I think it's going to be a really great experience. 

I also started this blog a couple weeks ago, which I think is pretty important to mention (haha). I've been wanting to start blogging again but want the freedom to write about things that aren't just books, so I'm going to try to make it a more queer, bookish lifestyle-y type blog. So we'll see how that goes. My favorite post is probably the one I wrote on my self-care routine, so go check that out!

No comments:

Post a Comment